January 19, 2017

Our New Home - Living Room

Hello everyone. Hope you are having a nice start to the new year.

Back in the middle of September, we bought a new home! We have been slowly settling in, and have quite a long way to go. The second day after moving in, the laundry machine wasn't hooked up properly and we were out taking a stroll around our new neighborhood. When we returned, our kitchen was a pool and water was pouring out of the lights in the ceiling. The whole upstairs and downstairs were flooded. It was awful! Due to the damage from the water, we get to replace all our wood floors! We haven't started that endeavor yet, but will this spring.

We've been renting the last five years over in Germany, so it was hard to make the house how we wanted. With our new home, it has been so much fun figuring out our style and design preferences. I have pinned hundreds of images on pinterest and scoured over furniture websites. We're finally getting close to finished with our living room, so I thought I would share. Just need a floor lamp, another side table, a garden stool, and some accent pillows...


This is what the room looked like when we moved in. The previous owners had a HUGE TV above the fireplace that left a gaping hole with wires etc. We hung a large mirror to hide the mess and fortunately it fit perfectly. 


The house was painted a goldish tan, but I really wanted to brighten up the walls and modernize the house. I searched for the perfect paint color for weeks. We grabbed about 10 different samples from Sherwin Williams and ended up going with Agreeable Gray. I love the color and am so glad we picked it for the majority of the house. 

 In October, I started searching for sofas. We went to stores to test a few, and then started the online search. We both liked the Presidio sofa from William Sonoma, but not the price tag. It was going to be well over our limit. We knew we wanted a well made, single seat cushion, down filled couch, and finally found the perfect one! The Interior Define Caitlin Sofa.  I read so many good reviews about their sofas, and the fact that they have a 1 year return policy made me feel more comfortable with purchasing a sofa we had never seen or sat on in person. So, we took the plunge. The sofa finally came after waiting almost 14 weeks, and we love it. We also got the matching chair, which is bigger than I expected and also very comfortable. We did the Pebble weave in Dove for the fabric and picked walnut legs. The leather chair is from Pottery Barn when they had a 50% off sale for Black Friday. The coffee table and end table are from West Elm.



As for the rug, I first had it lengthwise. It drove me crazy that the end table wouldn't sit perfectly on the rug or off the rug (see the pictures below).  It was straddled between both, so we turned the rug horizontal and everything came together nicely. The rug is from rugsusa.com after I read this Emily Henderson blog post about 52 timeless rugs. This rug was the least expensive, and I liked the geometric pattern and gray in it. It doesn't shed and with a nice pad under it, feels wonderful.



Eventually, I want to paint the white behind the built in shelves a pretty accent color. I just can't decide exactly which color yet, and I want the accent color to match an island we plan on building in the kitchen. I'm thinking definitely a blue, but not sure which blue.

 
 I'm loving this room. The windows let in so much light in the afternoon, it makes the room the perfect place to hang out and read a book or play a game with the kids. Add a warm fire and good smells from the kitchen equals bliss.



Now, back to my online search for the perfect accent pillows and touches for the room.




1 comment:

  1. Your house looks beautiful Mandy! I hope you all are doing well. We are updating an older home, so you have given me a few ideas!

    ReplyDelete

We would love to hear from you!